Thursday, January 6, 2011

Solid ground in a mudslide.

Sometimes life feels like you're running uphill in a mudslide. The more you try the further you slip, sink, and fall. Here is where I find my faith is tested most. Where my emotions scream for control. Here is where I have a nanosecond to choose to act according to my spirit or my flesh; to choose to see with my natural eyes or my spiritual eyes; where I can submit to, invite and proclaim the Kingdom of God and all that it holds or submit myself to the kingdom of this world and the sin that rules it. I'd like to say that I always succeed in living in the Kingdom of God, but all too often I allow how I feel to dictate what I believe. But even in this... I find Him. I am reminded of David and Noah. I think of David and his heart that was so in sync with the fathers and how God used David to reveal that deep love for us in I Samuel 17. When Saul questioned Davids ability to defend Israel against Goliath the giant Philistine David responded "“Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, 35 I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth.". When I read this I was immediately reminded that His heart is always towards me. And then I think of Noah and how God revealed again His nature and His heart in the telling of Noah after the flood. When they had again settled and planted vineyards. One night Noah, not realizing how fermented the wine had become, got drunk. When his son saw that his father was passed out naked he went to get his other brothers to show them. The other two brothers walked in backwards and COVERED their fathers nakedness. God's heart is always to rescue and to cover me. Even when I am carried off by (lions and bears) thoughts or circumstances that aren't of Him, He will come after me and destroy that which is trying to carry me off and devour me. Even when I have made bad choices, mistakes or acted foolishly... He doesn't seek to expose my sin or weakness but to cover it all and bring me back to His heart.

So even in the mudslide I still find solid ground in the lovingkindess of my Abba Father and His precious son Jesus that He sent to rescue and cover all my sin. It never ceases to cause me to well up with praise, worship and overwhelming gratefulness to Him for all He is and reminds me of how truly blessed I am despite any earthly challenges or circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment